2003-09-25 - 1:07 p.m.
ten years ago I...
- was 21/22
- got married! ha! in a big, catholic mass-type wedding
- was working as a crime reporter
- lived in kentucky then moved to nashville and became a receptionist at an insurance co.
- wore ponytails a lot
- drove a red, 1989 cavelier
seven years ago I...
- was 24/25
- moved from nashville to manhattan! HA! go me!
- got a pretty stellar apartment in nolita
- discovered what a broker's fee was
- rode public transportation for the first time
- worked as an editorial assistant for a publishing house for two weeks then became the communications coordinator for united cerebral palsy (yeah! best job! best job!)
- rode subways to the bronx, brooklyn and took express buses to staten island to interview people as part of my job. discovered a HELL of a lot about NYC. became an expert on the cross-platform transfer.
- was still married. incredibly miserably so.
- walked around soho with my big tennessee/kentucky hair/southern accent/Tigger sweatshirt
- said "good morning!" rather cheerfully each morning to a guy I later found out was in the mob. he would always nod back. i think he liked me. or liked the hair.
- wrote freelance country music reviews for The New York Press! go me! that's awesome! i'm so proud of my 24-year-old self! she kicked ASS and she didn't even KNOW IT!
five years ago, I...
- was 26/27
- got a job as a communications consultant for a Fortune 500! YEAH! that's so awesome!
- unknowingly marked the last year i would be married. and straight. and catholic. and living in manhattan.
- went to my first NYC pride after telling my husband i was going to church. HA! that's so funny!
- was visited upon by two gay boys dressed as angels who waved to me and yelled HAPPY PRIDE! hee! that's such a great epiphany story!
three years ago, I...
- was 28/29
- my first year on my own!
- was living in the far far reaches of Brooklyn. YEAH BROOKLYN! LOVE BROOKLYN!
- living in the basement apartment located in the house of an orthodox jewish rabbi.
- sat in a sukkah for the first time
- celebrated y2k in a Forever Memory sort of way with good friends, champagne and fireworks over the Brooklyn Promenade. I LOVE BROOKLYN
- broke up with my first girlfriend
- got a job at a reinsurance company located in the world trade center (weird job, don't ask)
- threw a karoke party for a hundred actuaries.
- went to three christmas parties in one night. that was so awesome!
- developed a crush on totally the wrong girl.
- stopped seeing her.
- had random sex with an artist/alcolholic guy that i met in a bar. (wtf???)
- rode the cyclone with riot718!
- met my girl!!!
two years ago, i...
- was 29/30
- realized i couldn't live apart from my girl.
- moved to boston
- worked as a temp for a local college
- had a kick-ass 30th birthday party
- had a really bad september
- went to a lot of therapy
one year ago, i...
- was 30/31
- started writing my book
- bought a lime green VW beetle
- published a piece in the utne reader
- found an editor to work with
- started making boston friends
- started working at this non-profit health management company
- was introduced to using myers-briggs types at work
- became an uber-ENFJ
- was contacted by a publisher
six months ago, i...
- was 31. it was march
- signed the contract for my book
- began editing fiercely
- planted marigolds along the front walkway
- shoveled the snow off of my marigolds
- was really hyped-up on cold meds
- played a lot of sims
- fell in love again with my girl
- am procrastinating like you wouldn't believe
- will have mexican for lunch.